Availability of Language Assistance Services
Washington Hospital offers free interpreter services to our patients, including
video-remote interpreters in American Sign Language. If your English is
limited or you are speech or hearing impaired, please ask your doctor,
nurse or other staff member to arrange for interpreter services at no
cost to you. If you have a question or a concern regarding these services,
please contact the Compliance Department at 510.818.7400.
Visitor’s Guide to Washington Hospital
Temporary Visitor Restrictions
For your safety and in response to the shelter-in-place directive, starting
Wednesday, March 18, we will
not be allowing visitors in the Main Hospital and the Morris Hyman Critical
Care Pavilion, with a few exceptions.
- Patients will designate a single individual who will be the point of contact
for all information and conversations with your care team
- Point of contact will be responsible for sharing information with other
family members or loved ones that should have this information
- A member of your care team will contact the designated point of contact
at least once a day for a regular update, or more frequently if there
are significant changes in your condition or care
- Exceptions to this policy will be determined by the caregiving team, which
include end-of-life situations, parent of newborn and pediatric patients
We know that this change is not going to be easy. Please know this change
is to ensure everyone's health and safety during the COVID-19 pandemic
and to comply with the shelter-in-place directive. For technology options
to help facilitate communication with patients in the Hospital, please
call our HELP desk at 510.818.7099.
Other important information:
- The entire Washington Hospital campus (including parking lots and all related
health care entities) are tobacco- and smoke/vape–free zones. The
use of any tobacco products -- smoking, vaping or chewing of tobacco,
or any other substance such as marijuana cigarettes, e-cigarettes, pipes,
and cigars -- is strictly prohibited.
For everyone's safety, we have implemented security measures that include:
- All personal items, such as backpacks, purses and totes, are subject to
search; we appreciate your cooperation with the security person outside
the Main Hospital lobby
- Everyone must check in at the front desk
- Valid ID must be presented by each person and a visitor badge with their
name and photo will be issued before leaving the Hospital main lobby;
visible visitor badges must be worn at all times while in the Hospital
- An ID must be shown every day to receive a visitor’s badge
Consideration for the comfort and safety of our patients is our first priority.
Nursing staff, in collaboration with the patient, may alter visiting hours
and regulations at their discretion, as warranted by the patient’s
condition, family circumstances and environment. It is understood that
visitors may be asked to leave if their presence is stressful to the patient
or in conflict with the treatment plan.