Student Volunteer Programs
High School Student Volunteer Program is Year Round
(This program is not for the summer break only.)
High School Volunteer Requirements:
- Must be at least 16 years of age and have sophomore standing.
- Must have an overall grade point average of "3.0".
- Need to contact your high school counselor for our counselor recommendation with an unofficial copy of your high school transcript. Plan ahead to pick up these forms from your counselor or career center before school closes.
- Students are required to volunteer a minimum of 80 hours within a year.
- Students are required to staff at least twice a month.
Services available for high school student volunteers:
- Gift shop
- Community Health Resource Library
- Lobby team volunteers
- Play piano in hospital lobby
College Student Volunteer Requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Students typically meet application requirements during their summer break.
- Students are required to volunteer a minmum of 40 hours within a year.
Learn about Scholarships.
Medical Explorer Program
Washington Hospital sponsors Medical Explorer Post 539. Founded in 1967 by Richard Wood M.D., the program has been helping young people within the Washington Township Health Care District Community for more than 40 years.
Explorers attend lectures and demonstrations by Washington Hospital Medical Staff physicians as well as health care professionals employed by the hospital. Field trips and tours are arranged with several local facilities and Explorers participate in disaster drills and health and safety fairs.
Medical Explorer meetings are held once a month (September - May). Membership is open to all students 15 to 20 years of age, who are looking to learn more about the different careers available in the health care field.
Dues are $15 per year. Dues pay for insurance and help supplement expenses of the meetings. For more information about the Medical Explorers Program, please call (510) 791-3400.