Washington Hospital Scholarship Programs Help Students Follow Their Professional Aspirations
Now more than ever, many students may find it challenging to find the means to pay for college. But thanks to several scholarships that are available from organizations within the Washington Hospital Healthcare System, students residing in the Washington Township Health Care District can receive some much needed financial assistance.
Four separate Washington Hospital organizations offer 14 different scholarships. These departments include the Washington Hospital Service League, Washington Hospital Healthcare Foundation, Washington Hospital Medical Staff, and the Washington Hospital Employee Association.
Washington Hospital Service League Scholarship Program Turns 50
The Washington Hospital Service League awards two scholarships annually to Washington Township Health Care District students who are pursuing studies in a health-related field. The scholarships are awarded each year to graduating high school seniors and/or current college students.
Each scholarship is for $1,000 per year and is renewable each year for three additional years as long as the student remains in a health-related program. In addition, the student must continuously remain in good standing with a 2.5 GPA or higher. The scholarship is limited to four years.
"The Service League recognizes the need to help educate the future health care professionals in our community," says Andy Estevez, Washington Hospital Service League President. "These scholarships help students fulfill their dreams of working to become doctors, nurses and other health care professionals."
The Service League established its scholarship program 50 years ago and was originally given to students pursuing nursing degrees. Throughout the years, the scholarship has expanded to include students with interest in pursuing any health-related career. Aside from offering two renewable $1,000 scholarships annually, the Service League also awards several one-time $1,000 scholarships that can benefit students attending a community college.
"Over the years more than $250,000 in scholarship money has been awarded to more than 120 students to help fulfill their dream of going to college," says Chris Rebello, Service League Scholarship Chair. "Each year all the student applicants are absolutely amazing. We wish we could give them all scholarships."
To qualify for the Service League Scholarship, an applicant must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen and reside in the Washington Township Health Care District, which includes Fremont, Newark, Union City and parts of Hayward.
- Be age 22 or younger as of December 31 of the year in which they apply for the scholarship.
- Be accepted into an accredited school, college or university offering a bachelors or higher degree in a health-related field.
- Be a full time student.
- Submit an official high school or current college transcript with application, as well as a letter of recommendation from three of the following: Director of Volunteer Services, Employer, Counselor/Advisor or Teacher.
- Contribute to the community by accruing at least 100 hours of volunteer service or working in a health related field.
Service League Scholarship applications are available online at www.whhs.com/community/scholarship and at the Washington Hospital front lobby desk located at 2000 Mowry Ave. Fremont, CA. The deadline to apply for this scholarship is Friday, April 1.
Washington Hospital Foundation Scholarship
The Washington Hospital Healthcare Foundation offers two scholarships annually in the memory of former Washington Hospital Medical Staff physicians. The Steven P. Mitchell, M.D. Scholarship and The Franco Beretta, M.D. Scholarship, are both in the amount of $2,500.
These two scholarships are awarded to a college student who is pursuing a medical degree. All applicants must be enrolled in or have proof of acceptance to an accredited U.S. Medical School. All students must be a resident or former resident of the Washington Township Health Care District or have significant ties to the District.
To learn more information about these scholarships, please call the Foundation at (510) 791-3428. The deadline to apply for these scholarships is Thursday, June 30 at 4:00 p.m.
Medical Staff Scholarships
The Washington Hospital Medical Staff offers seven scholarships each year to students residing in the District who are pursuing careers in the health sciences field.
- Employee Scholarships - Two $1,000 scholarships are awarded to Washington Hospital employees pursuing additional education.
- High School/College Student Scholarships - Any student entering a health science field or college student currently enrolled can apply for the Washington Hospital Medical Staff Scholarship ($1,500), Robert Foley, M.D., Memorial Scholarship ($1,000) and the Devorah Taghioff Scholarship ($1,500).
- Nursing Scholarships - A $1,000 scholarship is awarded to a student enrolled in the nursing program at San Jose State University and another $1,000 scholarship is awarded to an Ohlone College nursing student.
For applications or additional information about the scholarship program, please call the Medical Staff office at (510) 791-3446. The deadline to apply for these scholarships is Friday, April 1.
Washington Hospital Employee Association (WHEA) Scholarship
The Washington Hospital Employees' Association (WHEA) offers a $2,000 annual scholarship. The Don Pickinpaugh Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a dependent of a Washington Hospital employee. Applicants must be either a graduating high school student or college student that plans to attend an accredited community college or university. Applicants with interest in non-health and health related disciplines are encouraged to apply.
For more information about the WHEA Scholarship, please call Sherry Beamenderfer at (510) 608-1320. The application deadline is Friday, April 1.
Download a Scholarship Application Online
Please visit www.whhs.com/community/scholarship to download a scholarship application and to learn more information about the wide variety of scholarships offered through the organizations in the Washington Township Health Care District family.
Scholarship Profiles on InHealth Channel
In the coming weeks, InHealth, a Washington Hospital Channel will begin airing several video segments profiling recent Washington Hospital scholarship recipients. Visit www.whhs.com/inhealth or www.inhealth.tv to view a full selection of current InHealth programs.