Washington Hospital has been designated as both a “cardiac receiving center” and a “stroke receiving center” for Alameda County. Hospitals with these designations must have demonstrated that they have the facilities, technology and physicians needed to provide immediate diagnostic tests and the interventions necessary to save lives. There are only four hospitals in the county designated as cardiac receiving centers, and only three are designated as stroke receiving centers.
Fast Treatment for Serious Heart Attacks
As a designated cardiac receiving center for Alameda County, Washington Hospital is committed to providing the fastest, most effective heart attack treatment possible.
- Washington Hospital was an early adopter of the standard to get heart attack patients into the Cardiac Catheterization Lab for angioplasty to restore blood flow to the heart within 90 minutes or less, which means faster care and better outcomes for the patient. Today, our recommended target is 60 minutes and we are working hard to meet the goal consistently.
- Washington Hospital collaborates with paramedics in the field who can perform an electrocardiogram and transmit the results to the Hospital and treating cardiologist. The goal is to enable the doctor to make a diagnosis and prescribe immediate treatment, even before the patient is transported to the hospital.
- Washington Hospital's Cardiac Catheterization Lab is at the leading edge of interventional treatment for serious heart attacks.
Learn more about the heart program:
- Cardiac and Vascular Catheterization Laboratories
- Cardiovascular Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Cardiovascular Institute
Mended Hearts - For people who have had heart surgery, heart attack, angioplasty, angina and/or other cardiac conditions. This support group gives people a chance to share their struggles with others who understand their situation as well as learn to lead a more heart healthy lifestyle. To get involved with Mended Hearts, call (510) 494-7022. For more information about the national Mended Hearts, visit www.mendedhearts.org
- Randy and Diane Catalano (left) both underwent triple bypass surgery and are grateful for the care they received at Washington Hospital. They now give their time through Mended Hearts. Randy is president of the local chapter of Mended Hearts and Diane is one of four certified Mended Hearts visitors at Washington Hospital.
From leading edge diagnostic equipment and interventional services, to the latest in surgical procedures and cardiac rehabilitation, Washington Hospital's Heart Program provides patients with a full continuum of high quality care. Washington Township Health Care District has a clear mission to reinvest in and improve upon all patient care services; as such our cardiac service offers the latest in technology, attracts top physicians and provides streamlined access for patients.
With a medical staff of 13 interventional cardiologists, two cardiac surgeons and dozens of specialized nurses and support staff, Washington Hospital provides services ranging from heart disease screening and prevention and all types of non-invasive testing to the most sophisticated of cardiac, valvular and vascular surgeries. The interventional cardiology program at Washington is nationally known in percutaneous coronary re-vascularization for the treatment of coronary artery disease and in electrophysiology for the treatment of rhythm disturbances.
Washington Hospital's heart and vascular programs treat and manage such conditions as:
- Congestive heart failure
- Coronary artery disease
- Valvular heart disease
- Rheumatic heart disease
- Adult congenital heart disease
- Arrhythmia and electrophysiology disorders
- Angina pectoris
- Heart disease prevention
Following medical, surgical or interventional treatment or for the prevention of disease, Washington Hospital offers an extensive rehabilitation and counseling program to help patients maintain or return to an active lifestyle.