Childbirth and Parenting Classes
January - June 2013 Class Calendar is Here!
Click on the image above to download the complete list of classes. Class dates subject to change. Call (510) 818-5040 for complete times, dates, locations, cost and additional information. Most classes take place at the 3569 Beacon Avenue in Fremont.
Intended for couples in the last trimester of pregnancy and offering detailed information about many labor preparation topics. Subjects include: signs and symptoms of labor, stages of labor, childbirth techniques, relaxation and breathing, the coach’s role, variations in labor, analgesics and anesthetics, cesarean birth, and postpartum recovery tips.
- Prepared Childbirth/Refresher Class - For the mother and coach who have taken Prepared Childbirth classes within the last three to five years. Information about sibling adjustment is also included. Fee: $75
- Parents Again Package - Take these two classes and save! A pricing package including Prepared Childbirth/Refresher and the Big Brother/Big Sister class. Fee: $85
- Prepared Childbirth/Comprehensive - Once a week for five weeks, each class is 2½ hours in duration. The basics of breastfeeding will be covered in this class. Fee: $150
- Comprehensive Package - A little bit of everything offered in an attractive pricing package. Prenatal Smart Start, five weeks of Prepared Childbirth with the basics of breastfeeding included, and Becoming New Parents. Fee: $175
- Prepared Childbirth/Intensive Class - Two all-day Sunday sessions that also include the basics of breastfeeding. Fee: $150
- New Parents Package - Prenatal Smart Start, Prepared Childbirth Intensive (includes the basics of breastfeeding), and Becoming New Parents. Fee: $175
Baby ‘n’ Me Support Group
Discussing the joys and trials of living with your new baby in this relaxed support group is an excellent way to enhance your transition into parenthood. Come as you are, as often as you like (for moms and babies from birth to 8 months). Free.
When: Classes held on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Location: 3569 Beacon Ave., Fremont
Becoming New Parents
Want to feel more confident when taking your new baby home? This one-time, three-hour workshop offers sensible tips, demonstrations, and information on caring for your infant in those first important months. Fee: $50
Big Brother/Big Sister
Help siblings 3 years or older prepare for the arrival of their new baby. Through fun activities, a story, and games, we explore what it’s like to have a new brother or sister. An adult family member must accompany the child. Fee: $30
If you choose to have your children attend the birth of their sibling, this private one-hour class provides an excellent orientation. Call for an appointment. Fee: $40 per family
Birthing Center Tour
Scheduled about a month before the due date, this tour introduces expectant parents delivering at Washington Hospital to our Birthing Center. Family members are welcome, but please, only children 3 years and older. Registration is required. Free.
Our certified Lactation Educators and Consultants offer support to breastfeeding and back to work moms with low cost private visits by appointment, classes and a FREE advice line. For a private visit with our internationally board certified lactation consultants, or to access our FREE advice line, call: (510) 818-5041, Monday through Friday.
- Prenatal Breastfeeding Class: Learn the basics for successful breastfeeding in this 2 1/2 hour class. Fee: $40
- Back to Work Breastfeeding Class: By appointment
Breast pumps and breastfeeding accessories are for sale or rent.
Hours: Monday - Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; Saturday, 1 to 5 p.m. (Closed Sundays)
Where: 3569 Beacon Avenue, Fremont
Call: (510) 818-5040, Monday through Friday
CPR for Family and Friends
This is an American Heart Association course teaching adults rescue breathing (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) and how to relieve choking of infants and children. Non-certified. Fee: $30
Sign, Say and Play
Did you know that babies can learn to communicate by signing before they can talk? Through stimulating activities, songs, and play, you and your 6- to 12-month-old infant will learn six to seven signs each week. A six-week series based on Baby Signs®, Inc. Each family will receive a kit that contains books, a CD, and a DVD to help incorporate signing into your daily life. Fee: $140
Our hands-on method insures that you will learn the art of interactive massage to suit your baby’s schedule, needs, and developmental level. Infant massage can relieve stress for you and your baby, deepen bonding, contribute to baby’s development, help baby sleep better, and enhance your
ability to understand your baby’s needs. This four-week class is designed for you with your baby, from birth to precrawling. Fee: $65
Prenatal Smart Start
A class offering lively discussion, informational take-home packets, and a question and answer period for women and their support person in their first trimester of pregnancy. Subjects covered include: how pregnancy affects your body, healthy nutrition during pregnancy, exercises to help prepare your body for labor, common discomforts and remedies for those discomforts compared with danger signs that would indicate alerting your obstetrician. Free.
Expecting twins or more? With this two-hour class we’ll help you master multiples from delivery to breastfeeding (designed to be taken in addition to a Prepared Childbirth Class). Call for an appointment. Fee: $50
An exercise program developed especially for pregnant women using stretching, low impact cardio exercise, mild resistive exercise, yoga and relaxation to promote flexibility and strength, and improve posture and balance. Fee: $60 for 6 sessions or $110 for 12 sessions.
This is the perfect way to return to fitness and relieve the stress of new motherhood. Your new baby is welcome to come along. Fee: $60 for 6 sessions or $110 for 12 sessions.