Washington Birthing Center
At the Washington Birthing Center, our main concern is the comfort, wellbeing
and safety of moms and newborns. Our philosophy is that the birth of a
child should be a family experience. Our Birthing Center staff supports
mom’s rights to have those important to them with them during this
experience; however, there are a few rules for the safety, protection
and overall wellbeing of our patients.
Visiting the Birthing Center
• Visitors must be at least one year of age, except for siblings
of the newborn.
• Only visit if you are feeling well. Do not visit if you are suffering
from coughs, colds or flu like symptoms.
• A responsible adult must accompany all siblings under the age of 12.
• Children should never be left in the care of the patient (mom)
or left unattended in visitor areas, and must go home by 10 p.m.
• Car seats are not permitted in the Birthing Center. Please leave
car seats in your vehicle.
• Children and family members are not invited to stay overnight in
the Birthing Center.
During Labor & Delivery
• The patient’s husband/partner and the siblings of the newborn
are welcome at any time during labor and delivery. Note that sibling’s
attendance must be arranged on an individual basis. If a sibling(s) is
in attendance, an adult, other than the mother’s primary support
person, must be present with the sibling(s).
• Other visitors must have the patient’s approval to be present.
• Guests may be asked to leave if activities in the labor room warrant this.
• Those unable to attend the birth should wait in the Amanda Room
located on the same floor.
• Once the baby is delivered, the patient sets visiting parameters.
• If the newborn’s sibling(s) visit, an adult who is not the
patient must be supervising the sibling(s) at all times.
Remember that this is an exciting, but exhausting time for mothers. Please
remember that recovery requires rest and that this is a time for mom to
bond with her newborn. This is also a time for instruction for the mother.
We are delighted to have the opportunity to be part of this exciting time
for mothers and their growing family. Thank you for helping us insure
quality care, comfort and safety for all patients.