High School Student Volunteer Program is Year Round
(This program is not for the summer break only.)
High School Volunteer Requirements:
- Must be at least 16 years of age and have sophomore standing.
- Must have an overall grade point average of "3.0".
- Need to contact your high school counselor for our Counselor Recommendation
form as well as submit an unofficial copy of your high school transcript.
Plan ahead to pick up these forms from your counselor or career center
before school closes.
- Students are required to volunteer a minimum of 80 hours within a year.
Students are required to staff at least twice a month.
Services available for high school student volunteers:
- Gift shop
- Community Health Resource Library
- Lobby team volunteers
- Music Therapy Program (piano/violin/flute) in main hospital lobby
College Student Volunteer Requirements:
- Must be 18 years of age or enrolled full time in college.
- Students typically meet application requirements during their summer break.
- Students are required to volunteer a minmum of 40 hours within a year.
Medical Explorer Program
Washington Hospital sponsors Medical Explorer Post 539. Founded in 1967
by Richard Wood, MD, the program has been helping young people within
the Washington Township Health Care District community for more than 40 years.
Explorers attend lectures and demonstrations by Washington Hospital Medical
Staff physicians as well as health care professionals employed by the
Hospital. Field trips and tours are arranged with several local facilities
and Explorers participate in disaster drills and health and safety fairs.
Medical Explorer meetings are held once a month (September - May). Membership
is open to all students 15 to 20 years of age, who are looking to learn
more about the different careers available in the health care field.
Dues are $25 per year. Dues pay for insurance and help supplement expenses
of the meetings. For more information about the Medical Explorers Program,
please call (510) 791-3400.